Wednesday 20 February 2013

Riley: Hit 'Em Up


People should never forget who they are. As trite as the age old saying is the words thoroughly rang through when this week I got the chance to speak with young aspiring U.K rapper, Riley.

The recent launch of his debut track Hit it Off  was met with huge success in the U.K via Soundcloud. It became apparent as to why when  Riley told me of his grassroots in the rap game.

A mixed love for rap and poetry (fundamental to any lyricist) almalgamated from an early age as Riley dicovered his aptitude for freestyling.
"I started rapping when I was 11, began to take it serious when I was 14 and was in the studio by 16."

His aforementioned track, which is being layed by Riley as a precursor to his up and coming mixed tape, truely resonates as a rugged rescue remedy for a U.K rap scene still thirsting for recognition on a worldwide scale.

Like most of us he has grown up with all too familiar hip hop giants such as Nas and Pun, yet his uncanning ability to incorporate what he has heard into his own unique style has given him solid ground to work upon.
"I never tried to be something I'm not, says Riley."
"My father always told me to be me, because that's the only impression you'd ever do truly well."

There is something endearing behind the honesty of his motivation and inspiration. To compliment this idea Riley does seem to possess catatonic prowess both technically and lyrically as his debut track shows. It is also an area which the young man allows himself a well deserved pat on the back:
"I think my technicality and personality is what seperates me from other rappers."

The track Hit it Off is available on his twitter page- TheOfficialRiley and the mixed tape is due to be launched in the next few months. If his debut drop is anything to go by, one can certainly expect to hear his name more often in the near future.


No comments:

Post a Comment